Monday 30 October 2017

How your strict parenting is ruining your teenagers...


Look this is abit of a shower thought. But I had a friend over the other night and admittedly we are abit older. But her parents are quite strict, but honestly not even exceptionally so. Anyway we got in a huge falling out. I asked her to leave, it was late.... in this tiny voice she said 'I can't.'So she stayed. Now keep in mind we are both women. She was in no real danger here. But imagine if I wasn't her friend, what if I was a male who wanted something she didn't.But when I think back, to all the fucked up situations I was in as a teenager.. most of the time it wasn't from excessive freedom, or me being naughty. It was simply from how strict my parents were. Now hear me out here, if I told my parents I was sleeping at a girlfriends house and I was at a party that went sour not only was I unable to go home without severe consequences.. most of the time me and my friend were forced to have to stay there because of our parents not allowing parties of any kind. If they had I would have come home around 11 or 12. But because of the strictness I had to lie to have the same teenage experiences as my peers.I was lucky. I have many friends who weren't.When you have these strict rules in place, you do not stop your teenagers from going to parties and doing whatever they were going to be doing originally, when there's a will there's a way. But what you do is you force your sons and daughters to find accomodation that is not your home to have these experiences. You take away their home as a safe place they can go when things are too scary or uncomfortable. You are putting them in dangerous situations by taking away their escape.Do you want to be the parent your drunk teenage girl calls when she's scared or do you want to be the reason she chooses to stay anyway?Just some food for thought. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2xAxHhl

No comments:

Post a Comment