Monday 30 September 2019

We are having a really tough time and I am kind of terrified, just want to tell someone, not sure where to go next


Tl'dr: Our baby got sick and continues to need medical care, which was already killing us financially, but yesterday my husband was laid off for the most ridiculous reason ever, so now we're totally screwed and I'm not sure what to do.So several months ago, our baby got sick. It was a mysterious fever and lethargy and nobody could figure out what it was. After numerous doctor visits and no answers, we finally took her to the ER where one doctor finally figured out she had something called Kawasaki Disease. It's a rare illness that causes inflammation in the blood vessels all over your body and it only affects babies and toddlers. Nobody really knows what causes it; there's no vaccine or preventative measure that could have stopped her from getting it. And since she'd had it for awhile before anyone figured it out, she was at an increased risk of the biggest complication with it, which is coronary aneurysm. She was hospitalized for almost a week, and during that time she also somehow contracted parainfluenza from someone at the hospital, so she had to be put on quarantine; the whole situation was extremely traumatic for her and absolutely heartbreaking for us as well. We truly didn't know if we would lose her and I cannot describe the horror of that, it's more than words can convey. She is recovering but will continue to be under the care of a cardiologist until early next year at least, to make sure her heart recovers completely.We were already drowning in the flood of medical expenses our insurance didn't cover, but were somehow managing not to allow anything to go into collections, until yesterday when the the shit just totally hit the fan. My husband, who is one of the most hardworking and loyal employees imaginable and has NEVER lost a job in his life, was suddenly laid off. The reason? One of his boss's oldest friends needed a job. So rather than letting my husband know in advance and giving him a chance to find something else, this ASSHOLE kept it to himself until THE DAY BEFORE he was putting his friend on the schedule and then just told my husband he was laid off. No severance, nothing. This guy is fucking evil. He knows our situation, as well. He knows my husband has a family and a child who needs medical care, that we recently closed on a new home, that we both have car payments and that my income is nowhere near enough to cover any of it on my own. I cannot believe the heartlessness of this guy.So anyway... we're screwed. Obviously we're both frantically applying for new positions (me to try to make a little more, and him to get something -- ANYTHING -- so we don't lose everything), we've applied for assistance but were told it would take probably 30 days before we know if we're approved, and until then, LO is just going to have to go without care because we can't use our small savings to pay for doctors appointments while we lose our home and transportation. I have no idea what to do.I created a gofundme awhile back and posted it on FB and here as well, but obviously there are people in much worse situations and I don't expect many people to give; we just don't know that many people and the ones we do aren't rich either. They all have their own struggles and I understand and can't expect them to put themselves in a worse situation to make ours better.I don't know what I'm hoping for; maybe some reassurance? Maybe some stories of people who've been in similar situations and wound up okay? We're so scared and lost; we've never been in this kind of position. You think if you go to work every day and work your ass off, they're not going to suddenly let you go after years for such a random and ridiculous reason. Especially with no warning. I can't wrap my head around it. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2ml6MWg

No comments:

Post a Comment