Thursday 26 September 2019

Update: Daughter loses everything


Original post for anyone wondering! https://ift.tt/2lTtt3Q just wanted to update you all and send out a huge thank you to those of you had great advise regarding this! Especially u/bestem with the excellent advise to help with the "I don't know where things go" part of all this.She hasn't lost a single item in the last week and a half! Her shoes and toys are all accounted for and when something does get misplaced, we can find it pretty fast (I'm looking at you Roku remote).We did the hard thing of donating a ton of stuff that she just didn't play with and really had no interest in. It wasn't nearly as bad as we thought it would be. A lot of stuff was just really young kids toys that she outgrew and many things were stuff that she was actually OK with donating. The hard part was the bigger things that she never ever plays with but she feels like she needed to keep it. That stuff we put into bins and told her that we would look at it again a few days. About half that stuff she said OK go ahead and donate it. We really played up the fact that what she was doing was a very nice thing she was doing by donating. I think that helped her. The rest of the things are in my closet with the idea that if she wants to play with that stuff, she has to ask for it. So far, she hasn't even remembered it's there.As for her room, she is totally keeping it clean!! We have a hard rule, she can only have out one or two bins of toys and if she wants to do something else, those toys have to go back into those bins and back in their toy rack. Don't get me wrong, she whines and cries about having to pick up her stuff still, she really just doesn't like to pick up, but she is doing it because she doesn't get anything, even screen time until her toys are back in her bins.She still tries to do the "I don't know where this thing goes" bit, but we are very firm on her telling us where it goes otherwise we hold on to it until she remembers. She remembers pretty darn fast, I must say. What is hilarious is when she will hold up a Barbie and say where does this go mommy, and I tell her I don't know why don't you show me, and she will put it in with the trucks, I will say "I don't think so, maybe I should hold onto Barbie until you remember" and oh hey, she goes with the other 10 Barbies sitting in the bin right in front her.As for the infamous Apple Pencil, it's gone. She keeps asking about it, and I feel bad because she really did love drawing with it on her iPad, but it's not going to be replaced. It was mine, and not hers, and really, I very rarely used it, so it's not worth it to me to replace it. I certainly would not buy her one at this point, so it's a done deal. I also have a new rule for myself, if the item is something that would make me really upset if it were lost, she doesn't get to use it.Again, thanks for all the advise, as long as we can maintain this, we are on the right path! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2nwHfJX

No comments:

Post a Comment