Friday 27 September 2019

To the lady in the grocery store


As my eight year old SD would say, “oh yooouuuuu, GO AWAY!”Seriously. I understand that you “mean well” but your comments are disrespectful and demeaning to fathers. When you asked if you could look at my infant daughter, I obliged. She IS adorable after all.When you made the comment about there being something on her face and then you attempted yourself to clean it, you crossed a line. When you explained she has some dirt that I must not have seen, I explain that it’s a small scab from where she scratched herself. When you insinuated I wasn’t parenting properly to have allowed herself to get hurt, I explained that infants do that occasionally when they get all arm flaily pissy when they’re hungry.Well I’m sorry that none of your children ever did that, and you’ve never heard of that before. It doesn’t mean it’s a problem with my parenting.Also, me taking my child to the grocery store, or anything else for that matter, is not me “babysitting”. It’s being a father who has a week off from work and is doing the grocery shopping during the day so I can make my fiancée her favorite vegetable side tonight. And also buy cookies because I like cookies. ITS PARENTING. NOT BABYSITTING. I’m so tired of hearing people ask me if I’m babysitting. No, I’m parenting. I’m the one in charge of taking care of the baby at this exact moment in time. It does not fall SOLELY on the female. It’s not 1927 anymore people, get with the frickfracking programDouble also, you comment about how “mommy must’ve picked out that adorable outfit!” Again, no. Mommy didn’t pick out this outfit. I did. And two before it, the one she pooped up the diaper in AND the she spit up on, so we got a wardrobe change. All done by dad. That right. The adult male who can clearly see that grey pants match the purple and grey shirt. So what if they came in a set? I PICKED THE SET OUT! Know why? BECAUSE ITS FREAKING ADORABLE!!!This was not something I was told to expect when coming into fatherhood. I was not aware that having a child, ESPECIALLY a daughter, meant I was suddenly some incompetent, barely keeping it together, over privileged babysitter. So to all the fathers out there who get criticized for their “babysitting”, I salute you good sirs! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2mhQfCJ

No comments:

Post a Comment