Saturday 28 September 2019

Just when you can't stand them any more


I've been struggling lately. My 4-year-old son tests my patience on a daily basis. He's been struggling with impulsivity and hyperactivity, and is often finding himself in trouble both at school and at home. I've been working on rewarding good behavior, finding outlets for his energy, all that. But it's exhausting. To top it off he is constantly hanging all over me, and it's gotten to a point that I regularly find myself dreaming of a vacation away from him just for a few days. And of course when I think that I start to feel guilty.Anyways, today started off poorly, basically spending the whole morning trying to redirect him, desperately trying to sneak away for a five minute break (but he always finds me and gets upset if I don't tell him where I'm going). I was feeling really overwhelmed and anxious about everything. Fortunately the afternoon was much better and we actually had a good day overall. And then at bedtime he unknowingly redeemed himself for weeks of challenging behavior: As I was tucking him in I told him if he wakes up early he needs to stay in his room for a little bit until it's time to get up and he can draw a picture or something. He says "can you teach me how to write 'I love you Mama'? I want to write that for you to make you happy but I don't know how."Sometimes (often) there are days when I just want to scream because he drives me crazy. But then I have to take a step back and remember that I am his most favorite thing in the whole world. Then there are the nights like tonight when I'm able to remember that he is my most favorite thing in the whole world too. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2nDQ7xj

No comments:

Post a Comment