Friday 27 September 2019

2nd Grader & School Bathroom


When my son started public school for 1st grade, he started having accidents either right before we picked him up from aftercare or on the way home. After some digging, we figured out the cause was him not asking to use the restroom at school. Apparently, they don’t take bathroom breaks in his school like I had remembered and his 1st grade teacher had a strict policy in which they had to ask, “May I please go to the bathroom?” and would only be permitted to go once they asked correctly. My son is super shy and afraid of just about everything so I am confident this is why he wasn’t asking.I spoke with his teachers that year and they agreed to bring him to the bathroom 2x a day. Since he is in aftercare, he had been trying to hold it in for over 9 hours. Throughout the year, they took him less until not at all and I would have to gently remind them. Then they would take him again for a bit and slowly stop and I would have to remind them again. Rinse and repeat.Apparently, this must have scarred him because he wouldn’t use the restroom at camp, where he had gone for childcare and kindergarten, a total of 3 years. Again, we had to request that someone ensure he uses the restroom. Again, they would forget, we would have to remind them, the same cycle as 1st grade.He started 2nd grade earlier this month so on the first day, I reached out to the teachers and explained to them the situation. It hasn’t even been 4 weeks and they’ve already stopped bringing him.I totally understand that it’s easy to get out of the habit when you’re busy teaching 20+ young children. I am not faulting the teachers at all. Good health insurance recently went into affect for my son and I so I already have an appointment to meet with a child therapist regarding his general anxiety issues and while I hope it will help with the bathroom situation, I don’t know when that will happen and need a reliable way to ensure my son is using the bathroom 1-2 times a day.Is there anything else at can do outside of regularly reminding the teachers to ensure they’re taking him? Is this something the administration can help me with or perhaps the nurse? I hate being a nag but if that’s my only option, maybe I won’t fee so bad.TIA!tl;dr My son won’t ask to use the bathroom at school, which is 9 hours including aftercare. His teachers take him periodically but then forget and only start again when I remind them. He will be seeing a child therapist in the coming weeks for general anxiety issues but am wondering if I have any other options other than nagging the teachers every month. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2lAPa8q

No comments:

Post a Comment