Sunday 29 September 2019

My nephew said "that's disgusting!" while pointing at my daughter.


He's a 2.5yo who previously left a bad taste in my mouth after he screamed at the top of his lungs in my daughter's face when she was only 8 months old. His mom (my sister) did nothing about it, so I had to step in and be the parent.A little backstory: my daughter was born with hemangioma. It has drastically improved over a year, but there's no doubt it will leave a visible scar for maybe the rest of her life. We are discontinuing treatment soon (Drs orders) so the meds don't disrupt her system. But man, it's barely noticeable.Yesterday, we visited my mom. Little did I know my sister and her family would be there. So, I kept my guard up and made sure to keep my daughter's (14mo) distance from him. But when she got comfortable, my daughter wanted to follow my nephew around. Next thing I know, as we are all in the kitchen (parents and kids), my nephew points to my daughter and says "ew! That's disgusting!" I kept trying to figure out what he was pointing at, and I didn't see anything that could potentially be disgusting in the eyes of a toddler, other than her hemangioma. I didn't publicly acknowledge my observation, but I kept trying to ask him "what's disgusting?" as he was running away from my daughter.I knew this would eventually happen. But, I hadn't prepared myself to stick up for my daughter's cosmetic abnormality that she has to live with; I've only prepared myself when the day she asks about it comes. What kind of advice can you throw at me when other people, especially other toddlers, try to bring my daughter down because of this "scar"? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2mGJRVO

No comments:

Post a Comment