Monday 30 September 2019

Piercings, tattoos, and buzzcuts oh my!


So I’m a weird looking person that has taken manny a style risk growing up. My mother had a lot of arbitrary rules. No piercings, no short hair, no “weird” clothes, no heeled shoes, no makeup. She wasn’t into fashion or expressing herself much back then and because she didn’t feel she needed to so she decided I didn’t either. So of course I took scissors and markers to my clothes, sewing needles to my ears, razors to my hair, sharpie to my skin, and smuggled makeup from the Avon lady.So when I had my own kid I vowed to let her express herself with only the lightest direction from me (baring anything damaging). She has a severe asymmetrical artsy haircut, wears galaxy makeup on her forehead with crystals for Stars some days, has neon pink eyebrows the next and most days she’s natural. Her clothes are super funky and we just escaped a very cringey style experiment. But she back to custom design by her dresses and tunics. She could could be a hunger games capital child extra on her on days no problem.She has so much confidence she literally unbullyable and I couldn’t be prouder. I’ve had many whispering matches with relatives to hold their tongue, but everyone is on board now. Her classmates dig her style. But the question is...When to let her get her ears pierced?I’m covered in tattoos, piercings and have a bifurcated tongue so that’s where I’m standing. I was hoping the nearly unlimited expression with regards to hair, henna, and fashion would keep it at bay but she’s literally the only kid her age at her school/social group without them. Even a good quarter of the boys have ear piercings around here.I thought she would wait till she was 7+ to start seriously asking. I have no real reason to say no like with permanent tattoos. And so far I’ve stuck by my rule of if she ask for it nearly every day for a month (3 for more serious stuff) then I know she’s serious and it’s not a throw away statement.She’s been asking since she was three but like hell did she understand the implications at all so she got stickers. Then later I was able to placate her want with crystal stickers and clip-ons. But she grew tired of them either falling off constantly or giving her ear aches from the pressure. I tried putting her off it by telling her about the needles and watching YouTube videos but now she’s just more sure.I feel like a hypocrite, my gut says wait. Even though I got mine when I was 4 and a half and officially when I was 5. My parent group is saying I’m a hypocrite so I guess I’m ask for your opinion and perspective.Also yes I’ll be going to a reputable parlor, my kid is on a first name basis with my body mod artist. And my kid is really good at keeping herself clean without me having to bug her about it. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2n0unMu

No comments:

Post a Comment