Thursday 26 September 2019

Questioning kids about sexual abuse.


Very long and sad story short. We have a family friend who adopted a boy after all her other children were grown. He was always “different” and I always get slightly uncomfortable with him around my kids. In the last year or so it has come to light that he has raped and molested every single child in their family. From babies to 12 year olds. Boys and girls. He did some of it right in plain sight. While the family was swimming or eating dinner at the table he was molesting his “nephew” under the table. The problem I’m having is that the children he assaulted were not there all the time. They were there for family holidays and summer trips to see grandma and grandpa. He was assaulting them repeatedly with every chance he got. There have been 17 children so far. I can’t help but wonder if my children were involved also. They swam at his house, we had bbqs over there, they watched movies together. Realistically he saw my kids more than he saw the kids that have come forward. A lot more. I sat my 12 year old down and explained the situation. I told him that no matter what, nothing was his fault and it would be ok, but he insists that nothing ever happened. I haven’t asked my younger two yet. I don’t know how to bring it up in a way that will get them to confide, but also not traumatize them if nothing actually did happen. My daughter is 9 and my son is 10. I can’t imagine that these kids that were rarely around had such awful, unspeakable things happen to them and my children haven’t been touched? Am I overreacting? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2n9tDE9

No comments:

Post a Comment