Thursday 26 September 2019

Advice to single parents (from someone who grew up with parents who divorced while I was 3 years of age)


I'll try keep this brief..please please please, take a close note of what your kid(s) think of your new potential partners.Because kids are smart and they have another perspective, which isn't blinded by the honey-moon lovey dovey period.If they have a concern about your new potential partner, l i s t e n t o t h e m.Let me give you an example from my life..When I was around age 8, my dad started seeing this lady and after a while he said she was going to move in with us. I can't remember exactly what I said but I disagreed with him but he said too bad. Fast forward 10 years, they've gone into business together and failed completely. he's lost his house, other material possessions and is asking me for money. Mind you she didn't really have much to her name either. They constantly fight all the time even after seeing a marriage counsellor, they stick through the tough times, but even after that it's not a pretty relationship at all.Another example..When I was around age 6, my mum started seeing this guy, who I straight away knew was just a total piece of scum. I told her she should leave him but she didn't listen. As their relationship grew, he got worse and worse. He talks to me and her like she's dirt, never gave a shit about me, would only point out my faults and laugh not realising kids make mistakes.. Man I could go on and on. When they moved town after about 5 years of being together, he didn't even bother looking for a new job. He just sits around all day watching TV, occasionally tinkers with his gun hobby, thinking he can just scab off my grandparents inheritance money. Until he dies.Anyway.. You get the point.Please parents who read this, listen to your kids when they tell you what they think of your new potential partners and trust them. I promise you'll be thankful in the long run.Thanks for reading, I hope I made sense! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2lXuzva

No comments:

Post a Comment