Saturday 28 September 2019

Talking to kids about a death... I’ve never done this before.


Trigger warning...I’m having a hard time even putting this into words.My daughters uncle killed himself. I haven’t told her yet and I don’t know how or if I should even tell her. I don’t know if I should tell her he died or tell her he committed suicide or just say “he passed away”. She just turned 9. This is someone she hasn’t seen much and probably wasn’t going to ever see again (ex husbands brother, ex husband isn’t in the picture much anymore). Part of me doesn’t want to tell her anything because I don’t think she’d even know and hasn’t noticed anything yet. Sometimes my ex in laws come to visit her though (maybe once every six months) and I’m afraid they will talk about it. I have no clue what to do. Do you talk to a 9 year old about suicide? My daughters very mature but still. Should I open up the conversation about suicide with this? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2mAEwPB

No comments:

Post a Comment