Thursday 30 November 2017

Wild tantrums in a 4 year old, what do I do?


My 4 year old is sweet, smart, and generally a good kid.But she throws these insane tantrums, usually over small things like getting dressed or doing chores. She’s my only child and I really don’t have a lot of experience with children, so while these fits seem crazy to me, my MIL says she’s just being a kid.But the thing is, I don’t know how to deal with them and I don’t know how to help her. She’ll fly off the handle about something and scream, literally screaming at the top of her lungs, and often will thrash around on the floor, crying until she’s almost vomiting. She’s like a wild animal! Usually I end up yelling or crying too!Sometimes it’s like a switch gets flipped, one minute she’s fine, the next she’s in a crying, screaming pile on the floor. At this point, I’m taking my MIL advice and leaving her in her room until the tantrum subsides. But sometimes it goes on and on for 30-45 minutes. It’s really difficult for me to have to listen to someone I love screaming and crying for that long. (I do go in to check on her every few minutes, and remind her that when she calms down she can come out). I end up a shaky anxious mess. And this happens almost every day.We’ve tried everything I can think of to get her to just follow directions without having these meltdowns and I’m at a loss.None of my friends are parents, so I don’t know who to talk to about this.Any help or advice would be appreciated. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ir8hAd

No comments:

Post a Comment