Monday 27 November 2017

Daughter's 1st-grade family history project specifically requires non-American heritage only; my husband is in large part Choctaw/Cherokee =/


Never thought I'd be one of "those" parents yet here we are.This project specifically states that it must be about "family heritage pertaining to any country other than the United States" - which sure, I get it, geography and multiculturalism &c &c &c. I'm all for that.But it's sort of nice to sometimes acknowledge that there are, in fact, people who are originally from here, unless you want to trace your heritage back to like the Neolithic (which - luck with that). I also get a kick out of this kid being both Native American and first-generation American all at the same time.So yeah. I sent an exquisitely neutral email to the teacher asking if it would be acceptable for the kiddo's presentation to cover a bit of both sides of the family. Curious to read the response...[Edit] Heard back from the teacher - apparently the goal is mostly to avoid kids just coming in and saying "I'm from America" and it would be totally fine to present about Native heritage. I'm still not thrilled about the wording, but... via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2AeZdD3

No comments:

Post a Comment