Sunday 26 November 2017

My daughter is 13, but dating an 18 year old


My daughter, who I recently gained custody over 3 months ago, has been on the internet, chatting with strangers. She always filled me in on what she was up to. When I asked what she was doing on her phone, she would say that she was texting her friends from school, she would even say their names like, "I am texting Devin" or "I am just talking to greg". A month ago, she started being more preserved with me on what she was doing with her phone. When I asked what she did on her phone, she just said "things". I thought nothing of it because I was thinking, maybe she was just starting to want a bit more privacy or something. Or maybe she wanted me to stop asking her these questions so she gave me a general answer. 2 weeks ago, her phone was blowing up. She was in the bathroom, but left her phone on the couch. Her phone started going up and so many messages were being sent to her. I was really curious to what was going on but tried to resist the temptation of going through her phone and invading her privacy. Until her older sister decided to take a quick glance. She started reading, while I weakly tried to protest against it. I had no right to order her around as she was not my daughter so she did it. Then she unlocked my daughter's phone saw that she had been keeping a relationship. We weren't sure who it was so when my daughter came back and her sister told me her messages, I started asking her who was sending her messages. They were filled with messages like "you are everything to me" or "I love you" or random shit that had to do with references and jokes. She started saying that she had a relationship in school and we were fine with that. I was a bit bothered that she didn't tell me sooner but I brushed it off. This morning, her messages were blowing up again. One message after another, the phone kept making sounds and vibrating. Until she got the call. Her phone kept ringing and ringing. Eventually, I gave up and just answered the phone, to stop the noise and to help my curiosity. When I picked it up, I heard a deep, raspy voice that sounded like it came from a 18 year old. Unaware that she wasnt the one on the phone, he started asking for someone to talk to, for support. I then told him who I was, and he immediately hung up. When my daughter came back, I asked her about the whole thing. She said that it was her boyfriend from school but I didn't believe her so I kept asking and asking. Eventually, she came with the truth that she was dating online with an 18 year old boy, who was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder. She claims that they have video chatted plenty of times, and that they are "in love". She even has said that she met him once before and that they had a great time. I don't want to bring the cops into this but I am genuinely worried. She has told him our address so if I take away any way to contact him, he may show up and do something inappropriate. I don't want to bring the cops in if I could do anything else. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2A8RhFS

No comments:

Post a Comment