Monday 27 November 2017

I'm a bad dad, but I want to fix it. I just don't know how.


I have two young sons, 2 and 3, and for the majority of their lives I've dealt with depression poorly - mostly by disappearing into my phone with games while I let the TV do the parenting. Now my sons have developmental and temperament issues much worse than their peers and my lack of attention with them I think is largely to blame.I want to be a better father to them. Actually I need to be because their behavior issues are my fault not theirs. But I honestly don't know where to start.My morning routine with them typically consists of turning on the TV until breakfast, eating and then maybe going to a park to count down the hours until nap time. After nap, more TV until dinner, then a bath and bed. My routine is a countdown until the next meal and sleep.So if I'm going to cut down on the TV babysitter and try to engage with them... What the heck do I even do? First thing in the morning I don't see either of them wanting to do art projects. But even if they are, that can't be the solution every single day. There aren't enough activities. They do like books too but I can't do hours and hours of books every day either!I guess I just don't know what to do with them to fill the days in a way that is entertaining enough to engage kids who are constantly frustrated and really poorly behaved. Any advice here would be appreciated. I really do want to be the dad they deserve, but I can already feel myself giving up again if I can't figure this out. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2icxa2L

No comments:

Post a Comment