Sunday 26 November 2017

My son with autism's behavior is getting worse and worse, and I just don't know what to do anymore.


My son is 9 and was diagnosed at an early age with high-functioning autism. He's had ABA therapy, has an IEP at school, the whole bit.For the last year and in particular the past three months he's been getting steadily worse. He gets angry at the drop of a hat and rages, and trying to divert him to his room or the quiet room at school to get him to calm down just leads to more arguing and an escalation of intensity. He strikes his teachers and aide pretty much daily, and punched his principal in the face a few times. All he cares about are playing with his lego and video games/watching tv, which he almost never gets to do because of his behavior.I don't know what to do. No matter how we talk to him, it goes the same way every time. My wife and I are both utterly miserable - he ruins everything we try to do, even if it's just staying at home. It's like he has absolutely zero control over himself, and anytime the least little thing doesn't go his way, he starts to argue about it. The only thing that varies is how intense it will get and how quickly. I just had to order some drywall patch kit because he was fighting me while I took his lego away after his latest meltdown and while moving him to his bed he somehow managed to put a hole in the wall. I can't keep doing this.My daughter(11) isn't helping either - she's hit an age where she just shits all over everything when she doesn't get her way too, except she's old enough to know better. Her attitude is garbage, and she treats everyone in the house like crap. I'm at my wit's end. It's christmas and we don't want to take the kids to get a tree, or do the elf, or an advent calendar, none of it. This is a huge red flag because my wife likes christmas in the same way that I rather enjoy breathing. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2n7RcwQ

No comments:

Post a Comment