Tuesday 28 November 2017

My wife has double standards for her family vs mine with baby [6mo]


Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this. My wife and I have been married for 4 years and have a 6mo baby boy. He's the best and has overall been a really easy kid. We're lucky.The issue though is that I feel like my wife is harder on my parents than she is on her own. I know that it's common for new moms to have support from their own mom more than their MIL and that's not what I have an issue with. However, she's ultra sensitive to everything my parents do and say (particularly my mom) but brushes off when her parents do or say something similar or equivalent. I feel like this might set up a more distant relationship with the baby and my parents, as well as definitely setting up a more distant relationship with my parents and my wife in the long run.Some examples of what I mean:My wife was very offended the one time my mom insisted on the baby wearing socks, but then when her mom asks (repeatedly) if the temp in the room should be changed, she just patiently explains the research over and over againShe said she doesn't want ANY jokes from my family about the kind of food the baby is eating or requests to feed the baby solids over Christmas (we're just starting) and wants me to be really proactive in stopping it. But her family asked if the baby wants sweet potato and turkey over Thanksgiving, she just rolled her eyes and said no, then changed the subjectShe says she can't stand how possessive my mom is with the baby (my mom requests to hold the baby a lot), but her mom holds the baby constantly when we're over without any issueIt's mostly small things like this. I don't want to engage in whataboutism, I just want her to give my family the same benefit of the doubt she gives her own. The few times I've talked to her about it, she kind of bristles and says it's just "different" with her family and that she feels more comfortable with her own. Which I'm sure is true but I'm not sure if that's a good reason? I don't see how she'll get comfortable if she keeps assuming the worst of them and reacting accordingly.Has anyone else been here? I'd appreciate any advice or ideas.(Also please don't refer me to the MIL sub in my wife's defense. Just trust my judgment that my mom is a run-of-the-mill grandma who is well-meaning and loving, if sometimes a little clumsy like all humans can be) via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2k7iEda

No comments:

Post a Comment