Wednesday 29 November 2017

My high energy toddler got kicked out of swimming lessons because he won't listen. What can I do?


My son is 3.5 years old, and currently attends daycare at a YMCA where swimming lessons are provided for the children. Today I got a phone call that they were kicking him out of lessons.A little about him, he’s so high energy. I’m sure every parent feels this way, but I can’t stress just how high energy he is. Everyone always comments on how energetic he is, especially day care providers, who spend most of their day with children. I’m always exhausted trying to keep up with him. I love my son to death, but his high energy makes me hate being a parent. And that makes me feel like a bad mom.He also sometimes has issues with focusing, especially when he’s distracted or excited. Again, typical toddler, but combined with the high energy it’s extra frustrating. When we let him watch TV, which is usually about an hour a day, we struggle to get his attention. That’s pretty normal, but even when we try to talk to him face to face he won’t make eye contact and doesn’t seem like he’s really paying attention to what you’re saying. Maybe I’m just reading too much in to it, but I swear everything I say goes in one ear and out the other.He got a warning in swimming class for rough-housing with the boys, so they switched him to another group. The next time he got another warning for dunking kids under the water and not listening. Finally, today, he got kicked out of swimming lessons permanently because he got out of the pool and started running around the deck near the deep end, ignoring the instructor.I’m at a loss of what to do. I can only sit him down so many times and explain that he needs to listen, and have him agree with me. I’m hoping that not getting to go swimming will maybe have something click for him, but I seriously doubt it will. I don’t know how to make him listen.Should he see a doctor? Does he have ADD? Is it something in our parenting method? Should we cut him off from all screen time (he doesn’t use a tablet)? How can I burn his energy effectively?He’s completely healthy, and has no disorders that we know of at least. Am I just being crazy? Has anyone ever had a toddler/pre-schooler that was high energy with low attention/focus? How did you survive? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ijMTgl

No comments:

Post a Comment