Thursday 30 November 2017

Tonight I called my daughter out for lying about her usage of her Kindle tablet, and for the first time, she told me to shut up. Now that I've counted to 10, how soon can I break that fucking thing over my knee?


My daughter (11yo) keeps her door locked most of the time, and nearly every time I knock on the door, she's "changing." Tonight she finally opens her door and her Kindle is turned on, on her bed, and well after bedtime--so I tell her she needs to turn all devices off, reminding her that she knows she ought not to be occupied with these things after bedtime. She had an excuse (of course) that she uses it as an alarm and needed to check to make sure it was set, so I request that she unplug the earbuds and hand them to me. She complied. A second later, the podcast she had been listening to resumes on the speaker for both of us to hear--so I gave her some attitude for trying to get away with that lie, and that's when she told me to shut up.Sometimes I find myself in these escalating situations with my daughter, and it's getting more difficult to cool off because she's quite adept at button-pushing. Maybe not my best moment, but I immediately got in her face and asked her who the fuck (yes, I said it) she thinks she is to talk to me that way--and I could see she had absolutely no sense of remorse, she wasn't intimidated in any way, and no feeling that I could see that maybe there would be any disagreeable consequence for her.I'm mainly here to vent. She's definitely not getting the Kindle back for a long time. I very much wanted to break it, but I haven't (yet). Honestly, I know that doing so would come back to hurt both of us--as I can easily imagine her permitting herself to throw or break something during our next disagreement, all because I modeled it for her in the first place. However, tomorrow morning she'll find the Roku as well as the PS4 controllers have disappeared in addition to her Kindle, so she doesn't have alternative means of watching the entertainment she chooses.(Aside: the Kindle was a gift from another family member--I probably wouldn't have bought her one myself)I don't know how long I'll keep things this way. The thing is, she watches so much YouTube that I was going to force her to cut down anyway, so now I'm inclined to significantly limit her access to electronics for the forseeable future. Have any other parents out there had to deal with a teen/pre-teen's overuse of smart devices or social media?P.S. Daughter kindly drew a cartoon panel of her version of the story. Perhaps I'll post it. Spoiler: She's the hero. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2zDHrbD

No comments:

Post a Comment