Sunday 26 November 2017

Son's racial differences are causing him to feel out of place in his gifted class. Should we consider putting him back in mainstream classes?


First time poster here. I checked to see if anything like this had been discussed and didn't find much. If it has I would appreciate any links to the discussion.My 10 year old son is in the G&T program at his school. He is in 4th grade and the program extends to junior high. He started in the program last year.We settled on this school due to it's overall diversity but my son is still struggling with being the only black kid in his class. There are 19 kids in his class. 10 are white, 6 are Asian, two are mixed race (white/asian and white/latino), and my son is black.My son didn't mention being uncomfortable last year but expressed some discomfort this year. He has said numerous times that he doesnt feel like he fits in and doesn't like being the only black kid in the class. We have tried to ask him why and he doesn't expand much. He just says that he doesn't like it.We have considering putting him back into general ed classrooms but he was struggling last year because they don't work at his level. He also had bullying issues last year and that hasn't been a problem in G&T. I know that my older son's friends have made jokes about how the younger one isn't really black because of his interest and personality. My older son told them off and corrected them but I think that may be playing a role in this as well.Note: my husband and I are white. The boys are both black and adopted. I don't want to mess this up. Any advice from people people who went to a school where they were a minority? I want to respect my son's wishes but don't think the mainstream class is a good spot for him. It is the only nearby school that offers a gifted program so changing to a different gifted program is not an option. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2A9ttBp

No comments:

Post a Comment