Sunday 26 November 2017

My 15 year old son is having a tough time dealing with his lack of a father. How can I help him process this in a healthy way?


I noticed that he's been very down for the past few days. I asked him what was going on and what he said really broke my heart. He said "I just wish I had a dad, Ma. That's all. I'll get over it."It made me cry. I have a really great son. He never wants for much, he's very generous and helpful and sweet. I'd describe him as being very content. And to look at him stare blankly at the ceiling and say that was just...it really struck a chord in me.We continued to talk and he told me that these emotions really hit him when the school year and football season started. The team has a rule that every Friday, everyone on the team goes to school in a shirt&tie. He said he tried using YouTube tutorials but just couldn't quite get it right. He went to school and planned on asking the coaches. But when he got there a few varsity captains confronted him and asked him why he didn't have his tie on.He didn't say anything back but he said to me "Because I don't get to have a dad like you to teach me how to tie it."He told me things like that have been building up for a while. My son has a lot of facial hair like my father and his own and started trying to shave this summer. He had terrible razor bumps at first until he just decided to let a Barber do it.And then he said it's that he constantly hears about other boy's sharing stories about their dads.Finally, he said he feels frustrated that he has to figure out how to be a man on his own. "I have no idea what I'm doing or if I'm doing anything right."My heart hurts for my son. How can I help him? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2Ac9MH9

No comments:

Post a Comment