Thursday 30 November 2017

I'm losing my ability and patience to logically deal with my kid.


I'm getting very frustrated with my 10YO kid and his actions as of late. It feels like its only getting worse when within the past three days, he was suspended from after-school care for his attitude (third time this school year), had his bus driver ask me to talk to him about his attitude on the bus and had his teacher email me about refusing to redo work because it was "just good enough," when instead of providing five paragraphs on a topic, he provided two very fragmented paragraphs.On my way to the bus stop with him this morning, I talked to him about tips to help write out paragraphs by giving numerous examples of why a fourth grader should or should not have a cell phone (the assignment topic). Access to friends and family? Give a few examples to make one paragraph. GPS and location? Give a few examples to make one paragraph. Media and Games? Give a few examples to make one paragraph.Yet, he really only focused on correcting me about a small detail about the assignment that I got wrong. He didn't care to listen about what I was saying, he was focused on making sure he pointed out I was wrong. After that, he told me his work was fine.During conferences, I'm told he's a smart kid, but if he doesn't focus and take his work seriously, he may have to repeat his current grade. I confronted him about that this morning, as well, after he basically ignored the advice I was trying to give him. I told him that he needs to take his work seriously or he may have to repeat the fourth grade. I asked if he wanted that, and his response was that he didn't know. He didn't know if he wanted to be held back or not and wouldn't care if he was teased if he was held back. And the "I don't know" answer is all I ever get - How was school? Why'd you get in trouble yesterday? Why do you feel sad?Yesterday, we had a talk about all of the issues that came about these past few days. I told him that being respectful towards other people - regardless of how we're feeling, whether we like the work or not, or whether the person is being nice or not - is what people are supposed to do to each other. But it seems like this stuff goes in one ear and out the other.I am very quickly losing my patience with him. He rushes through his work, doesn't care if it's done correctly. When we do math homework, he tells me stuff that he knows is wrong, like 8x6=4; despite having done multiplication for years. His writing is fragmented, he is disrespectful to adults, and only seems to value trivial stuff. When he focuses and does his work, he does a great job. When things go his way, he has a great attitude; but give him something he doesn't want to do and you basically need to prepare for a fight.And with me being divorced, I have no way to ensure the plan I have in place at my house happens at the other house. With my current partner busy in school, I have more house responsibilities on me, so having to deal with this is just another large item on a plate that already feels like it's pretty damn full.He is currently in therapy for his behavior, but has yet to open up to the therapist. This has been common during past therapies. No one is ever able to get information out of him.I've tried for 10 years to help mold his kid into a smart, responsible and respectful guy; but it seems lately like I've failed miserably and it's getting to the point where I feel like giving up. I know I won't; but I hate the fact that I feel this way. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2AL1XLG

No comments:

Post a Comment