Thursday 30 November 2017

How much should a preschool teacher (5 yr old son's) intervene when there are peer conflicts in the classroom?


I tried a previous post but I wasn't getting constructive comments so I'll try to explain and give more general information on the situation.My son is almost 5, and he attends a church preschool that has a 3 hour morning class, 30 min lunch time, and then a 3 hour afternoon class. The morning and afternoon teachers are different teachers.Last year, both his morning and afternoon teacher reported some behavioral issues. He tends to annoy other kids because he does not know how to get their attention in a more positive, engaging way. I have started taking him to a licensed play therapist once a week to help him build these skills. He's also reported to stick his tongue out at the teacher which is disrespectful. I remind him that it is very important to be respectful to his authority figures on a regular basis.This year, morning teacher has nearly zero issues, but it's the same morning teacher as last year. I believe the primary reason for the improvement is that he feels accepted and loved by his teacher. She usually comments him and asks about his weekend, etc, when he walks in which puts him immediately in a good mood and she always reports he had a really good morning and played well with others.Afternoon teacher is talking with me about once a week that he's annoying his peers doing a "pffffft" thing at them and tends to invade personal space too much. Also, his favorite annoying behavior is using "potty" words like poop and butt all the time which is understandably a nuissance. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, he has afternoon class only, so I drop him off and walk into the class to help him get settled (as most of the other parents do). Occasionally, I am able to witness some of his peer interactions. There are about 3 boys he doesn't get along with, the other 11 kids, he's fine with. I watched my son walk up into a center to play with a toy, and watched these 3 boys actually take over and he didn't know how to deal with it, so he walked away sad looking like he was about to cry. The teacher saw this, but all she did was walk up to the boys and said, "(my son) is at this center right now" and SHE WALKED AWAY. It seems to me that she maybe should have stuck around to help them resolve this?So, she reports behavior issues.... fine my kid's annoying and my husband and I are doing everything we can to raise a respectful, polite boy, but a lot of these behaviors seem to be things that need to be addressed immediately in the classroom. She keeps telling me to work with him at home, but by the time I bring the things up, he's forgotten the inappropriate exchange he's had with the peers. At least he's not just flat out pushing the kids anymore which is what he did last spring... now it's just "being annoying" like with making the "pfffft" sound at them, and one day at recess he decided to show his butt to one of the boys. (teacher told me about that...seems to have been a one time offense).He tells me quite often that the afternoon teacher and the kids don't like him. But, very interesting is this: some of these kids are also in his morning class and he gets along with them during the morning where he feels THAT teacher likes him and accepts him.tl;dr: how much should a teacher of 4/5 year olds help guide them through playing appropriately and fairly with each other? Should I consider dropping the afternoon preschool class and only keeping him in the morning class since that teacher seems to be managing his behavior much better? I also had a thought I should at least email the director of the afternoon class to let her know I'm considering dropping my son out. I only want to protect his self esteem and perhaps when he's more mature, he can be in a class with a less "intercepting" type of teacher....? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ArjR5z

No comments:

Post a Comment