Friday 30 September 2016

[UPDATE]Toddler (2.5 year old) constantly getting out of bed at night.


I just wanted to provide a small update to my original thread I made about two months ago:http://ift.tt/2cQXauZ recap -My 2.5 year old would get out of his bed as soon as we would lie him down and tuck him in. He would become very upset and required us to watch him fall asleep.In the middle of the night, he would get out of bed, and do the same thing. If one of us wasn't there, he would get terribly upset. We succumbed to sleeping next to his bed on an air mattress.Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. My wife, him and I went to Outer Banks, NC for a week with my wife's family. We all shared a room, and my son slept with us that entire week in our bed. We thought for sure, it was going to be a nightmare trying to break that habit when we returned.The day we returned home, after doing our normal bedtime routine of bath and books, I simply laid him down and said "I'm gonna come check on you, buddy. You go night night, but I promise I'll be right back."He laid there for a minute or so, and yelled for me. I came in. Re-assured him that I would come back and check on him. He laid there for two more minutes in silence. I came in and said, "See, I told you I'd come back and check on you." I did this one or two more times, but spaced it out. He eventually fell asleep on his own, and slept through the night. One thing that I attribute to him sleeping through the night on his own was we left the door in his room wide open. Sometimes I'll go into his room and check on him when he's almost asleep, just to reassure him that I came back.It's been about 2 weeks since we tried this new method of coming back in and checking on him and leaving the door open, and he's slept through the night more times than he hasn't.I just wanted to post a quick update and hopefully give some hope to any parents out there thinking that their toddler will never sleep through the night.It too, shall pass. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2dxbRWH

No comments:

Post a Comment