Wednesday 28 September 2016

1st grader has homework every night


My son's 1st grade teacher assigns homework every night. It's a private school, this is her first year here, though she's in her 40s so I'm assuming it's not her first year teaching.The assignments are not onerous (one worksheet, read a passage in a certain book, practice spelling words, write about yourself, etc) and typically 1 assignment per night. It's assigned to the whole class, not just my child.The issues I have with this are twofold. One, I agree with the current studies showing that homework is generally ineffective in children this young. And two, it cuts into our family time, and some nights we just don't have time. And I feel shitty about making him stay in and do a worksheet when he could be outside riding his bike or playing ball - at this age. Of course when he gets to older grades I will be perfectly willing to prioritize it.I wouldn't mind if it was once a week, or just over the weekend, or just studying spelling words before a test. But not every single stinking night.So, I'm planning to talk to the teacher, but I'm not sure what exactly I should ask for. What is reasonable in this circumstance? How would you approach it? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2cCywLm

No comments:

Post a Comment