Thursday 29 September 2016

I'm thinking of signing a Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights form..


I have a 5 year old daughter (who we'll call Emma) with a woman that I am no longer seeing. While I have had quite a bit of time with Emma, I haven't had much impact on behavior. She has been allowed to run wild and not keep a schedule. I am now seeing a woman with two kids of her own, and they are well behaved and kind. We have been trying to have partial custody of Emma, but the household feels extremely unstable when she is here. My ex is engaged to a pretty good guy, and I know he loves Emma... So am I making a horrible mistake by considering signing away my parental rights to them?Emma loves me, and I love her, but the amount of anxiety and trouble that she causes when she is here is throwing everyone else in the house off of their routines. She doesn't play well with other kids, and she doesn't really know how to do basic things like dress or wash herself. Don't get me wrong here, she's not a "Bad seed" or whatever.. She just isn't.... "my daughter", I suppose. I don't feel like I'm her father.. more of a "frequent male presence".I hate the idea of hurting Emma, but I feel like this might be the best thing for all of us in the long run. I'm sure that this will cause backlash with Emma's mother, but we're adults and will (should) be able to talk about this. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2cYpWHw

No comments:

Post a Comment