Tuesday 27 September 2016

How young is too young to go to a funeral?


My wife's grandmother died a few weeks ago, and the funeral is tomorrow. We have a son who is 3. My wife is insisting that he come with us to the funeral. Her argument is that they were close (I wouldn't really call them "close"... He visited her about once every month or two, and never knew her before she developed dementia)I have said no, he should go to preschool as usual. I don't think he's emotionally mature enough to behave properly through what will undoubtedly be a long ceremony. If he was 5 or 6, I'd probably say OK, but I just don't think he's ready. He understands that she's dead, that she isn't coming back, but I don't think he really understands what death is yet.I'm not trying to get you to tell me I'm right or I'm wrong, just what you would do in that situation.Thanks, /r/parenting! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2d4kxEl

No comments:

Post a Comment