Friday 30 September 2016

SIL's husband is abusive - advice on holidays?


Background: My SIL is married to an abusive husband. She has been with him for about 10 years, and it is getting steadily worse. He has choked her, cut her, and threatened to kill her and her parents (providing vivid description of how) if she leaves him. It is to the point where my in laws boarded up their windows and installed a security camera. SIL was close to leaving him recently, but stayed with the caveat that if he treats her badly again, she will leave. Every year around the holidays, things get worse, and everyone expects he will act up this year as well. My husband and I trade off holidays, and this year Christmas is with my in laws. Christmas is a big deal to my MIL. We stay at my in laws, and SIL usually comes by for about 30 minutes. The abusive husband has been around once, years ago.My question: My husband and I have a young daughter who will be less than 2 around Christmas this year. I am worried about bringing her into this situation. The abusive husband rarely comes by, but since he knows SIL is thinking about leaving, things may be extra volatile and even dangerous this year. I need an outside perspective. Am I being overly harsh by refusing to come this Christmas? Are there any compromises here? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2dxoFrE

No comments:

Post a Comment