Tuesday 27 September 2016

Early morning adventure for a nightshift dad. (X-post on r/daddit)


Context: I made an email address a couple years ago to write letters to my son before he was born. Since it'll be about 8 years before he ever reads them, and another 10 before he appreciates them, I figured I'd share it with y'all. Please forgive any spelling, grammar, formatting mistakes. I literally just wrote this on 2 hours of sleep and these are supposed to be just letters to him from me. Enjoy.So, we're about 8 days from your 2nd birthday now. It's 0515 in the morning and I had only been gone to sleep a couple hours ago. Why am I up now, you ask? Well, funny story...It's about 0500am and I'm awoken by screams coming though the baby monitor. "Oh no! Paci. Right THERE!" you yell. I don't even have to check the monitor. I already know. You somehow dropped your paci and it's now one the floor, probably just outside your reach. So, I get up to come get it for you. When I walk into your bedroom, I find exactly what I expected. Your standing there. Yelling at me, "Dadda! Paci. Right there!" But I've brought you a new one. The blue one with a little bear on it. It's one of my favorites.I pick you up to comfort you and you tell me, "Diaper." Hhhh...this is your mom's doing. All of those early morning trips to Grandma's so she can go to work. "Ok." I whisper, "Let's go change your diaper. But then you're coming back in here and going to bed." I carry you across the house to our bedroom and get everything laid out. I think you've pooped so I turn on the light. It's bright even with the dimmer all the way down. I open up your diaper and am relieved to find it's only wet. Cool. This will be a cinch."Dadda. Potty." Hahahahaha... you're killing me. You've never gone potty for me yet. Only Momma. But, you're learning to be a big boy and I'm not going to stop you. "Are you sure?" I ask. Your little voice says, "Yes." So, we're off to your bathroom to go potty. You're wearing nothing but a shirt as I carry you and I'm praying you don't go early. I sit you on your potty and you sit there patiently while you whisper different things at me. But sure enough, I hear the faint sound of a little stream hitting plastic. "Good job, buddy!" I excitedly whisper. You start saying you have to poop so I encourage you while thinking about how the wipes are back in the bedroom. We sit there for a little longer until you start fiddling with stuff and I cut you off. Check the potty. No poop. Time for bed.I lay on the floor outside the bathroom so I can put your diaper on and you point to the ceiling. "Look Dadda! Green light. Up high!" I look up to see the light on the smoke detector. Have I mentioned how incredibly smart you are? Anyway, I slap the diaper on you and it's now time for bed.As I walk you into your room, ducking under the baby gate we use to keep the cat from jumping over the Dutch door, you bury your head into my shoulder and wrap your arms around me. This. This is what makes all of the hard parts of parenting completely worth it. By the time you're able to read these letters, you be much harder to carry. By the time you appreciate these letters, you'll be impossible to carry. At least like this. I finally put you down and tucked you in. You made sure I had Bear and Louie tucked in with you.This story might not sound like much. But one day, it'll all make sense. I am constantly in awe of how much you learn and grow on a daily basis right now. Even times like this make me so proud to be your "Dadda." I love you more than you'll know. Goodnight.Love, Dad via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2dpomTN

No comments:

Post a Comment