Tuesday 30 July 2019

Some brat is making fun of my son's speech impediment


My son (10) has had issues with speech since he was a baby. I won't go into all the details done they aren't relevant, but it took a long time for these issues to be addressed and I had to fight like hell for it. He finally started speech therapy in school about 3 years ago and was discharged from his IEP this spring because his speech impediment is now considered "mild" and is not affecting him socially or academically. I'm really proud of the progress he's made.My son also has some mental health issues, possibly depression, and vocalized some suicidal thoughts a few months ago. He's in therapy and seems to be doing okay, but he's not having a great summer. He doesn't really like the camp he's at, but we're stuck for this summer since everywhere else is booked or outrageously expensive, plus I'd be paying double because it's too late to back out of the camp he's in. Today he told me that another kid at the camp has been making fun of him every time he hears my son speak.I'm furious. I can't fathom how these kids can be so cruel to each other. I'm so upset I can't even think how to deal with the situation. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2yplPko

No comments:

Post a Comment