Wednesday 31 July 2019

My son has no friends to celebrate his birthday with. I thought this would get better but this was easier when he was 7.


I just need to rant.My oldest turns 14 tomorrow. He has always struggled to make friends and it has gotten harder as he has gotten older. Elementary school was hard but middle school was downright brutal. He's got a lot of issues with confidence, codependency, and empathy. Combine that with not liking things that most teen boys are into (sports, girls, social media, etc) and he's left out even in groups that initially accept him. We encouraged him to join clubs but haven't had much success in forming real friendships that sustain outside of school.I asked him what he wants to do for his birthday tomorrow and he said he just wants to sleep in without his siblings waking him up. I asked if he wanted to go out to dinner and he declined. He asked for us to not get him a cake either and doesn't really want his birthday acknowledged. I'm certain it's because of the lack of friends issue.When he was 7 and no one came to his party, we were still able to make it fun for him. I wish he was 7 again. This vs were easier back then. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2ywerDu

No comments:

Post a Comment