Monday 29 July 2019

Found a way to get my little boy used to people in wheelchairs


My little boy (currently 22months) has always struggled to feel comfortable going near two people we know with severe disabilities (wheelchair-bound and without the ability to verbally communicate or control their limbs). I had previously tried, and got him used to the lady we know because he was able to enjoy beeping the horn on her chair, but the guy with the more severe disability was still a struggle.This Sunday at church, I tried a different tactic. My boy loves cars, and so I said "look, Jeremy has a car that he drives into church! Do you want to come and have a look at Jeremy's car". A few moments of hesitation were soon overcome by the interest in the 'car'. My little boy became fascinated by the wheels, and Jeremy driving around, to the extent he said "bye bye Jemi" and "bye bye car" when he went. Hopefully he will be less intimidated by them now. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2KakaV7

No comments:

Post a Comment