Tuesday 30 July 2019

Am I a bad parent if I allow my depressed moods to show sometimes?


I'm an older dad to a 3yo and 4mo. I'm super involved with my kids and I love them so much it hurts sometimes. I'm also an introvert who deals with depression and anxiety. I never thought I was destined to be a parent (I thought I'd mess the kids up), but my wife convinced me otherwise. That said, I was very, very apprehensive about having a second because I knew how much more difficult it could be. Needless to say, it happened anyway and is indeed more difficult.The 3yo is great and, as most toddlers are, very attached, intuitive, and repetitious. Most of the time it's cute, but last night the incessant "why?" and "daddydaddydaddy!" stuff got to me. My introversion prompted me to go hide in a darkened room with a cat but I tried to tough it out. I was mentally exhausted and it showed. I accidentally found myself on the edge of a deep, dark pit called This is Your Life Now. Remember, I'm an older dad and the more time your ways have to set in, the harder it can be to adapt to a new way of life. As we sat at the dinner table I put my head in my hands and, well, moped. My wife made me leave because I was "bothering" her. As you may imagine, that didn't help my mood.I could be better at managing my moods, but I am trying. There's just a lot going on right now. I love my kids and I want to do right by them. Does that mean always disguising or hiding it when I feel like crap? Is it okay if daddy is just sad sometimes, as long as it's clear that he's not upset with them? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2KeESDh

No comments:

Post a Comment