Monday 29 July 2019

Hats off to stay at home parents


I am not a stay at home dad, but I just did the month of July with my 3.5 year old daughter at home all day. It is harder than any job I’ve ever done! She doesn’t watch TV but the temptation every day to turn on the TV so I could get just 30 minutes to take care of stuff was there. I will never judge parents who let their kids watch TV!It was really fun and really difficult. I would try to chunk up her day to give some routine, and did come up with lots of fun backyard activities, play dates, and outings. But man, never having a literal moment to myself, hearing dada dada dada and sometimes feeling my anger rise just by hearing her little voice call out dada for the 50th time....having to go in the other room for 20 seconds just to cool down because I never want her to feel my anger just for asking me to play with her...and if someone were to ask me how many chores or household repairs I got done I would say probably 1/200th of what I thought I could.The summer was hard because it was hot out and by 10am I was so not down for going to the sun baked playground. I imagine the winters are even harder. At the same time, I feel our time together was so enriching for her and I had the chance to make sure that she did such a wide and engaging variety of activities. I watched her grow so much and test herself in ways that I don’t think can happen in preschool due to the lack of 1:1 attention for long stretches of time. Plus, we saved a lot of money. So I can totally see why stay at home parenting is so compelling - and a full time job! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Yrp6dl

No comments:

Post a Comment