Friday 25 May 2018

Preschool teacher told us that our 2.5 year old isn’t speaking as clearly as his peers


Recently, our son‘s preschool teacher told us that he is not speaking as clearly as his peers. I’m not sure how much she talks at school because some teachers have told me they had barely ever heard him speak, but they are not his main teachers. The director of the school was surprised that the teacher told me this because they usually have to go through her to make this kind of recommendations, whereas this came up in conversation about how he has been having a rough time at school.It is true that when he speaks, there are a lot of filler garbled words and perhaps two words that are recognizable. Other times, he can say a short sentence perfectly. Sometimes he will pronounce a word very well, and then later he will pronounce it poorly. His speech is not very consistent. He does hear multiple languages at home, but I would say that he hears English 80% of the time. I speak French to him for an hour before bed, and he hears Farsi with my in-laws. I would guess that his French is better than his Farsi because he can say more words, whereas he understands Farsi but only volunteers a couple words. My parents have trouble understanding him, though we can usually understand the gist of what he is saying. For example, yesterday he told us that someone named Gavin, presumably a kid at school, pulled his hair and that it was not nice. But I am not sure other people would have been able to understand what he was saying. His vocabulary is pretty large, and he can say a sentence that is longer than three words, but they also include garbled filler words.This is my first child, and I’m not really sure what is normal. The school director said that she would look into it but that they usually don’t make this kind of recommendation until age 3. Before this incident, I took my son to his doctor’s appointment and asked if performative gibberish is normal, and the doctor said yes. I was referring to how he sometimes will try to impersonate us adults having a conversation by sitting at the table, folding his arms, and shouting edicts in gibberish. But I guess I didn’t notice that maybe half of the sentences that he speaks our gibberish filler words. Right now he is jumping around with frog slippers on his feet and saying “jumping da frog.” Like there are words that relate to what he is doing, but they are out of order and don’t make total sense.Tl;dr: I am not sure if my son is speaking at a normal level based on a passing comment that a teacher made. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GNoKoE

No comments:

Post a Comment