Thursday 31 May 2018

My 9 year old wants to shave her arms and legs, I’m seriously considering letting her


My 9 year old daughter came home yesterday and told me all the girls in the class opposite hers (2 classes in the same grade, not the girls in her own class) make fun of her hairy arms and call her a werwolf.She’s pretty strong and confident but she asked if she could shave her arms and legs. I said no, but I’d think about it. I’m starting to think i should let her, but just her arms.I also had hairy arms when I was a kid and stole my sisters razor when I was 10 and shaved mine. I now have very fine and almost non existent hair on my arms. My memory might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I only shaved my hair on my arms once.I’m concerned that allowing her to do it will encourage the idea that we can and should change our bodies when people say negative things. I’ve tried to encourage her to deal with the mean words in a way that won’t require she change herself, but she’s very resistant to standing up for herself.I’m considering it for a variety of reasons. I want her to feel happy and confident in her own skin.I want her to feel like she can ask me for things and I’m open minded to them. We’ve been having some trust and lying issues lately with her and I wonder if this will help.I’d like opinions on this to get myself an idea of if it’s a good idea or not. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2kBp7tL

No comments:

Post a Comment