Wednesday 30 May 2018

My (35f) husband (45m) treats our biracial children differently. He favors the one that looks more white like him. What do I do?


Created a throwaway for this as it's pretty embarrassing for me to admit.I'm black and my husband is white. We have two children. Our daughter is my husbands twin. She is very pale, has straight hair and his nordic facial features. My son is a little darker, his hair is wavier and his features are more "ethnic."My husband is in love with our daughter. She is the older one and from the moment she was born, he catered to her. Our son is a totally different story. As my son got older and developed more color, he seemed shocked at how much browner our son was than our daughter. I remember him bringing up how different they looked several times with a twinge of disappointment in his voice. It rubbed me the wrong way but I just chalked it up to him wanting his son to look like him.Anything my daughter asks for, he gets her. He goes out of his way for our daughter, while our son is left in her shadow. He will bring our daughter to various outings and then claim he didn't bring our son because he's fussy. He's 3. Of course he's a little fussy at this age but seriously?? He's cold to our son, while being incredibly affectionate and sweet with our daughter. If there is ever an instance where we have to split up and each take one kid, even something as simple as holding their hand, he always, without fail, grabs our daughter. People in my family have noticed this too. I've tried to rationalize this to myself that maybe it's because she's his little girl, maybe because she's his first born, etc.I took the kids swimming this past weekend. My daughter, as pale as she is, is still half black and therefore tans very easily. By the end of the day she had a nice tan and when we got home, my husband was upset! He was like, "why didn't you put sunscreen on her??" In this annoyed voice. And I was like, I did, you can still tan with sunscreen. And he was like take her to an indoor pool next time and then used some BS excuse about the dangers of sun exposure. The thing is, he didn't say anything about my sons tan. He only showed concern for my daughters tan.I confronted him about it later that night and he acted as if I was crazy and totally brushed me off. At this point I feel uncomfortable around my own husband and I am starting to think I married a prejudiced man. I don't know what to do. My son is still young now but he will be able to pick up on this eventually. What do I do? I don't want this to ruin our marriage.tl;dr : My white husband favors the child that looks more white like him. How do I deal with this and make sure it doesn't ruin our marriage? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2soBjBy

No comments:

Post a Comment