Sunday 27 May 2018

I need help dealing with an issue regarding my 12 year old boy


TL;DR: Son doesn't want to go on trip after initially requesting it, and monies paid.So he wanted to go on an Art Trip to Paris. Begged me. But I always promote their travels so was happy to spend the £180 for the 3 day excursion to see the Mona Lisa. I asked him whether he was really interested in art, and he said it didn't matter because his friend was going. School trips to Europe with buddies is what I remember as the highlight of my childhood. And it may spark an interest in Art or French or something else.Now, after having paid and unable to get a refund, he no longer wants to go. His buddy is not going. So what do I do?My current stance is:A. You have to live with your decisions. You wanted to go, I've already paid. Go. You'll have fun.Here are some other options:B. Well I don't want to force him to do anything. Especially travel. That will take all the enjoyment out of it and he may be put off travelling for life, the same way I was put off vegetables by being forced to eat them. That definitely won't be good for him.C. OK buddy. You don't have to go, but seeing as I paid for it, you have to pay me back. That's 6 months of no allowance.C. Seems to give him power and accept responsibility BUT the whole point of him having an allowance is so that he can learn to budget. So that 6 months that he is not exposed to money. Also: kids need pushing sometimes. A little. If I beg him to go, he'll most probably have a great time and thank me for it when he is an adult.So, what do I do? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2siWN2C

No comments:

Post a Comment