Thursday 24 May 2018

People keep commenting about my son's neurodermatitis. How do I handle this?


Hello, I hope this is the right subreddit for my problem.My son(5yo) has pretty bad neurodermatitis. Depending on circumstances, it flares up more or less. That is not the issue I'm looking for advice about, though. I went to two different pediatricians, an allergist and a dermatologist for it and I think I have a good enough grasp of the issue and how to deal with it.My problem is that other people (daycare personal, sports trainer, relatives of friends etc) keep bringing it up in negative ways.His daycare keeps bringing up that his skin "looks bad, what is it about it", implying I'm not taking good enough care of it, I guess. I tell them about the latest doctor's visit and what kinds of lotions I'm using on him at the time, and agree that it must indeed feel bad for him. They expect him to get "better soon", and I'm at a loss. He won't anytime soon.His sports trainer gave me a long list of foods my son should not be eating, because then his skin would "improve a lot". Basically, his trainer expects me to leave out any more known allergens out of my son's diet. Basically any well known allergen and/or things he doesn't like, such as gluten, dairy, most spices, a whole lot of fruit and vegetables, nuts, eggs, all meat but fowl, teas and sugar.Now, my son does have 3 food allergies. He's never fed those things. But I'm not going to raise him on chicken and bananas alone. I'm not doing this. This goes against everything my son's doctors have told me to do, and I have asked them, often. I heard him tell other parents about the evils of gluten and sugar, for entirely unrelated reasons, so he strongly believes in those things. Since I'm not complying with his advice, my son's condition is basically my own fault in his eyes.Random other people keep telling me about remedies. Those are sometimes, though rarely useful ("Have you tried lotion brand x" for example I consider useful). Most of the times, I'm told about homeopathy, which is very big in my home country. I don't believe in homeopathy, and am not willing to try it. This angers those people, and I'm often questioned later why I didn't take their advice. I'm not telling them that I think negatively about their choices, I simply state that I won't use homeopathy( but thanks for the suggestion, that is nice), and it's like I insulted their religion. Again, this is seen as me refusing help, thus my son's condition is my own fault.I would like people to leave me alone about this. I have quite a bit of guilt over my son's skin condition as it is, and I don't need other people to make it worse. What can I say in response without coming across as either rude or uncaring for my son? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2IJxqxU

No comments:

Post a Comment