Sunday 27 May 2018

Husband just left 2.5-year-old son out in a neighbor’s yard to come home to get his water


My husband just left our 2.5-year-old son outside on top of a hill that is our neighbor’s yard for a few minutes by himself to get his water and his phone. He came inside and casually informed me that our son was by a neighbor’s house (maybe 1 or 2 minute walk but out of eyesight) away. I thought he was joking (because my husband thinks I am paranoid and thinks it’s funny to try to scare me), and I figured a neighbor was with him, since we live in a neighborhood where there are a lot of young families and they often play outside together with the parents watching, of course. I decided to get my hat and come back out with my husband anyway, and some other neighbors who were out walking with their kids asked us if our son was the toddler who was sitting by himself on the top of the hill. My husband said yes and that he had just gone to get his water, and as I passed them, I muttered that men are completely different creatures, and they smiled like, “Yeah, that’s pretty crazy.”To me, this is the kind of risk you just don’t take. Maybe the risk of something happening is potentially low in our neighborhood since there isn’t much traffic (it’s not a cul-de-sac, but the street is essentially a small loop), but I don’t know why you would take that kind of risk. I also don’t think our son 100% understands cars. And beyond the obvious risks of injury, kidnapping, or accident, it seems leaving a toddler out of your eyesight in public is something you could have CPS called on you for.Am I overreacting? I am kind of stunned. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2xozudQ

No comments:

Post a Comment