Monday 28 May 2018

How do you deal with kids who "cry wolf"?


My 11 year old son has been reacting to consequences for poor choices or misbehaving actions by saying things like "I guess I'm a bad person", which his Mother and I have both said is not true. He is very intelligent, and logical, and we have both noticed that rather than accepting the consequences of his actions, this is how he reacts and it seems to be trying to manipulate us into feeling sorry for him so that we won't stick with the consequences.Lately, he's used stronger language, such as "I am so depressed, sometimes I just want to kill myself". I am someone who has struggled and been treated for depression for years, so I'm particularly sensitive to watching for signs of actual depression, and I don't see those in him.He is a very happy, healthy kid with a great life, admittedly a bit spoiled as an only child, despite his Mother and I not being together since he was a toddler, and living alternating weeks at both homes.In the past we did bring him to a child psychologist just to make sure there was not something more to it. We went to two different ones on two different occasions. Nothing wrong was found.We are both trying to tell him not to use such strong words or try to react in this way, because it is somewhat like crying "wolf", and as per the saying "never cry wolf", if at some point he really is struggling with emotional issues or mental health issues, he will have created a situation where we may not be sure if the statements are genuine, or an attempt to get out of consequences for actions.If any of you parents have had similar "never cry wolf" situations with kids, I'm interested to hear how you've dealt with those situations. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GWvwsk

No comments:

Post a Comment