Tuesday 29 May 2018

18 month old not talking or gesturing. Has ear infections but I'm unable to handle the stress.


Hi everyone. I think I'm being very over the top here but my stress and anxiety over this is affecting my relationship with others and my work at this point. I'm so tired I can't think straight.I have my first child, an 18 month old boy. He's an incredibly happy and energetic little guy which is great. For a few months now I've noticed the 'Dada' and 'Mama' babble has stopped. He's constantly blathering away with lots of sounds and tones all the time too which is good, I hope. He loves meeting people and I have literally never seen someone flirt with women as much as this guy. He's all clappy hands and smiles.However, I took him to our GP as he wasn't really responding to anything I said except when I'd sing certain songs he'd perk up. The GP noted both his ears have a middle ear infection and that there's a lot of fluid in is middle ear pushing his ear drum out.I made a STUPID mistake of looking up '18 month old not talking' and the Internet just returns about 100000 hits of AUTISM, ASPERGER and so on. Not much fun to see, but I know what the Internet is like. The GP has advised we wait about 4 weeks for the ears to clear. On one had I know the ears are a huge issue for his language, but he doesn't point or wave at all. He seems like he might be trying a bit more lately since we're just waving and pointing all day like complete lunatics. He does clap his hands and will do it as soon as someone does, or if he likes something. He doesn't really engage in play with toys, he loves running away and hiding and playing peekaboo on the move! He could run and laugh for hours like this. That's what I've been doing, but I think I should be playing more productive games with him. He's just so energetic and strong it's hard to get him to pay attention to anything really.I haven't slept a full night in about two months now worrying something might be very wrong with him. Everyone keeps telling me I'm being stupid and getting very angry at me which has lead me to lash out a them. This is not the way to go. I'm contacting the doctor / therapist for myself as this goes on as I definitely need help staying calm. I don't really know what I'm looking for here posting this I just need to get it off my chest, I guess. I'm totally frayed and no matter how much I tell myself I'm being paranoid I just can't rest or relax at all.Does anyone have any experience that was similar? Are there any tips or tricks I could use to help him out? Nothing is too simplistic or patronising. It's clear to me I don't know what the hell I'm doing and just waiting around does not help. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2LHaJfJ

No comments:

Post a Comment