Tuesday 29 May 2018

20 month old screams for us to play lego


My 20 month old son is obsessed with lego. Which would be fine if he didn't insist that either Mom or Dad be on the ground with him 100% of the time when he's playing. It doesn't matter if we play or not (he "let's us", but as long as we're on the ground with him watching him play, that's sufficient). But when my wife is trying to eat breakfast, or when I just get home from work and need a minute to relax, it's really frustrating to deal with a screaming toddler knowing the only thing I can do is sit on the ground with him to stop him from screaming.We've tried setting boundaries (for example, neither one of us will ever get up from eating to play lego, and we explain that to him, saying something like "no, we don't bother people while they're eating") and we have tried time-outs a few times in extreme cases (he's so young so we just do a few seconds, just enough to get him upset) but I'm not sure he can even make the connection quite yet.One thing we haven't tried yet is taking the lego away, but I have the feeling he would still be screaming for it, he just wouldn't have a piece of lego in his hand while screaming.How do you guys deal with obsessive toddlers? I know this is fairly normal, but do parents just ignore the screaming? Give in? Time-outs? What else have you tried? My wife deserves a quiet breakfast more than anyone. I would love to find a way to get her back that one simple thing. It doesn't even have to be completely quiet, just not frantic screaming would be great. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2L6uD2J

No comments:

Post a Comment