Friday 31 January 2020

Why do I sometimes not 'feel' love for my son?


Hey everyone, I am a dad to a beautiful boy (aged one). I have a history of anxiety and being way too over-analytical but I can usually keep things under reasonable control. But I always question myself.Lately, and even before this, I find myself asking "do I love my child enough?" The reason I think this is because sometimes if I look at him and don't feel that sense of 'warm fuzzy love' then it gets me really down. Then questioning my feelings for him makes me really guilty, because I should not ever think this about my son.I have done this same thing in other aspects of my life, like relationships, and it is very frustrating. Most of the time I feel so good about him and be the best dad I can be. But every now and then it's like this thing that grips me and I struggle to shake off the guilt of 'why don't I FEEL love?'I would do anything and everything for him and I have since the day he was born. Like all parents, there are times when I wish he'd maybe not wake up so much in the middle of the night or stay still when getting his nappy changed, but that's just parenting. Am I idealising what 'love' is? Am I a bad daddy? When I get down over this, I struggle to 'feel'. But when I am fine, then it's all good.Maybe I am placing too much pressure on myself, and just continue looking after him as I always do. That's the advice of my partner (his mum), who says she sees every day how great I am with him.But I can't help but beat myself up and it affects my sleep because I can't relax. Please does anyone have advice? It'd be greatly appreciated during this tough time. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/390oEZ5

No comments:

Post a Comment