Friday 31 January 2020

Re-defining a Grandmother's role from "Mother", back to Grandma, after my son's real Mother's successful road to sobriety


Quick tl;dr on my situation. Looking for articles and/or personal experience.My 3 year old son has been with me almost exclusively since he was 18 months because his Mother has struggled with sobriety and been away at treatment centers. Mother has been doing great the last 6 months and currently lives with her parents.My son has a great relationship with his Mother and Grandma, but the Grandma has had to assume the "mother" role for the last 18 months which was a big help. It's a known issue that the Grandma has been a helicopter parent while raising my son's Mother, and now, that parenting style is happening with my son. Loose boundaries, inconsistent rules/discipline, unacceptable public behavior, indirect (and sometimes direct) reward for bad behavior, rescuing, etc. That said, Grandma is a wonderful person with the best intentions, but the rescuing, enablement, "running the show", and unknowingly undermining the Mother needs to change. Luckily, the Mother also finally see's what I'm talking about and agrees.The problem that is obvious to me and my son's Mother is; now that she has a decent handle of her sobriety, the "mother" role needs to transition away from Grandma. Generally speaking, the Grandma needs to get on board with what we, the parents, allow.Even though the Mother and I are divorced, we get along very well and there's possibility of pulling the family back together. I also have a great relationship with the Grandparents and I've always been able to speak freely in the past with them.Ultimately, this is the Mother's responsibility to fix and communicate with the Grandma. I'm happy to be as involved as they will allow, but I mostly plan on being in the corner, encouraging the Mother and being prepared if she needs me.Do any of you brilliant minds have any articles or experience here? I've already read all the boring and generic "Grandparents who have problems with boundaries" and "How to deal with an interfering grandparent" articles.I'm just looking for articles or experience that is more specific. Thank you! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/38Qn0cy

No comments:

Post a Comment