Wednesday 29 January 2020

6 year old daughter already seems obsessed with looks


Not sure how to word this, so here goes.From a super young age, my daughter has been acutely aware of other people's sizes/shapes/looks. One of my earliest embarrassments with her was when she was newly 2 and saw some very large women at Chick Fil A. She started yelling and pointing "Look mommy!! Those women are very FLUFFY! Right there! LOOK AT THOSE FLUFFY WOMEN!!". It's only progressed from there. At daycare she would shun and be shunned by other girls for wearing the wrong color shirt that day, or make little comments about looks. She would refuse to read books because the cartoon girl on the cover wasn't pretty enough. I myself am obese. Her father is overweight. My daughter is super petite and barely on the growth charts. She's far from ugly, and I have friends tell me in private that she's a beautiful and cute kid (so I know I'm not super biased). I almost never wear makeup. I don't buy fashionable clothes. I don't comment on my body or my food choices. She isn't allowed to watch questionable TV (and usually is stuck watching Dora and Bubble Guppies with her little sister). All this to emphasize that looks are NOT an important topic in our house.When I started noticing the trend at age 3 I started making more of an effort to highlight personalities and other things. To talk about how healthy food choices make us healthy and strong. How being a kind person is important. How people have different colors, shapes, sizes, backgrounds but we're all the same inside and worthy of love. How it's impolite to discuss anyone's appearance unless it's a sincere compliment. It's been in one ear and out the other. Not only that, but she makes comments about my looks constantly. For example, just the other day I was putting her to bed and she asked "Mom, can you stop eating so much food?" "Why?" I asked. "Because, well, you know...you're F.A.T" (she spelled this out). Feeling pretty proud with my intended answer I said "Well, can this F.A.T. body get on the floor and play with you? Can this F.A.T. body dance with you in the living room? Can this F.A.T. body snuggle and hug you?" She replies "Well, yeah. But I'm not talking about what your body can DO...I'm talking about what it LOOKS like".Comments like these aren't irregular. And what really broke my heart the other day was when she came to me in tears and said "I hate the way I look. I don't like my curly hair. I don't like my teeth. I'm ugly". I'm at a loss. I truly think a large part of this are her own insecurities, but I'm out of my realm here. We've done therapy with her off and on for a few years for other issues, but not this particular one. Any ideas? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2U6j4jW

No comments:

Post a Comment