Monday 27 March 2017

Wife wants to rename our middle daughter


Hi reddit,Throwaway account for reasons.I'm not sure where to start with this, but essentially my wife wants to rename our middle daughter (2y.o) as she feels that she will get teased because of her name (Louise). She's terrified that as she grows, she will get called Lou and in her mind she can't break the association between Lou and Loo (as in the toilet.)She's brought this up with me a couple times in the past (once when she was a few months old and again after her 1st birthday) and last night when she brought it up again she says to me that she doesn't want to regret her name for the rest of her life and we should change it to Sarah and then have Louise as a middle name. I've maintained right from the moment we named her that I think it's a beautiful name (shared my many famous people) and if she has an issue with the nickname then it's within her power to correct people. My wife has added that she's spoken with several Louises and all of them hate their names and feels that's some validation for us changing her name now while we can (before she turns 3).We have three kids, 5M, 2F and 1F and I've unfortunately been through depression with each of them, and bonding with them has been difficult. I feel that if we change her name it will always be in the back of my mind that "this isn't her name and my wife has made me change it" and it'll affect my bond with her (and my wife for pushing me into it). I also don't want to confuse her older brother who is a sensitive guy who doesn't handle change well.This isn't made any easier by the fact that she is in day care and everyone knows her as Louise and it's a big change to have everyone refer to her by a new name. Plus we would then need to explain why we decided to change her name and I can't honestly justify changing her name because she may get an unfortunate nickname.I really need some help making sense of this. I'm worried that if I don't agree to change her name it'll play on my wife forever, an if I do agree it'll affect my bond with my daughter and my wife.Thanks. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2mG7bkY

No comments:

Post a Comment