Friday 31 March 2017

Did anyone hate their fence as a child?


So I've been in multiple arguments with my husband about fencing in our back yard (we'd be one of the first in the area). Him and I are in staunch opposition, but both of us believe their view is best for the kids. He says he grew up with a fence and hated it, always wished it wasn't there, and that it inhibited him and reduced his independence, and that he doesn't want that for our kids (3, 1, and working on next). I really don't understand this, and never heard of this view before, as I grew up with a fence too and went through the gate all the time to i.e. throw out the garbage or get a stray ball. I think having a fence will actually increase independence as I won't have to hover (among other benefits). I feel like if a physical fence isn't there, then I need to basically be right on top of them and act as the fence. (Our neighbor has a dog with an invisible fence, which is my biggest concern of him crossing that barrier)Our arguments have been very stressful and taxing, and he often will shut down discussion completely, saying he doesn't want to talk about it anymore. He's a good dad and works long hours and I know this stresses him out too. Can anyone help give me some clarity? Did anyone feel like this as a kid?I've got fence companies coming next week to give me quotes (he relented just on getting quotes) Our HOA is apparently very specific about what kind of fence we can get.I can give more detail if needed but am thinking this may be the crux of his issue that I need to figure out -- what reason a kid would think of a fence as significantly negative mental block, inhibiting their sense of independence/freedom. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nBFGXl

No comments:

Post a Comment