Wednesday 29 March 2017

My 7yo son was just diagnosed ADD. His teacher and principal ganged up on me at parent-teacher conferences. I am so pissed off.


Essentially he's been having issues completing classwork on time and has had problems with homework at home also. We did the questionnaires and saw his doctor and she diagnosed him with ADD Inattention type. He fits it perfectly. His doctor does not think we should medicate him at this point and that's awesome because I was hesitant to do it anyway.But last night we had parent teacher conferences. I was looking forward to meeting with his teacher to discuss small changes we could make to the classroom (as suggested by the doctor) that may help him - more time for assignments, small reminder charts specifically for him, etc. Instead the teacher said the principal was going to meet with us (who I've never met before!) and they immediately started in with the "why don't you want to medicate him?" and the principal was like "i medicated my son in second grade and I always thought I should have done it sooner". I explained that the doctor was against it as she believed that he would grow out of the symptoms for the most part.They essentially told me that it's not that he can't help it (ADD) but that he's just refusing to do it. I told them he's not defiant, he just literally can't focus enough to do the actual work. They just gave me that pitying smile like "of course you'd say that, you're his mom" type look.Parents, I am so pissed off. I left the meeting thinking "they're going to treat my kid like he's a bad child". I want to just yank him out of school until we get it resolved. I was on the brink of tears and I am just so, so angry.I think his teacher is a little more sane so I sent her a message on the school system requesting that she stick with the changes that we discussed and leave the principal out of it. She said "sounds good" so I'm assuming she's on board.I know other people here have dealt with school administrators like this. I just need someone to help me know what to say/do to stick up for my kid. I am so pissed off. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2oybhIx

No comments:

Post a Comment