Wednesday 29 March 2017

Anyone else feel judged because your kids prefer gender specific toys?


This is a bit of a weird question, but I feel like I have to ask. I am pregnant, so this could all just be my pregnancy brain reading too much into everything.My oldest is an almost 3 year girl and she is very much a girly-girl. I have always been a bit of a tomboy and my husband is masculine, so it wasn't something we forced on her at all. It's just her personality.We had a play date recently and the girls were playing with the dress up bin. The other mom said something along the lines of, "Wow. Do you think she has enough dresses?" I kind of laughed it off and then she said, "We try not to push stereotypes on (her daughter's name)." I explained that we didn't push it on her, but I still felt like she was giving me the side eye. She kept encouraging her daughter to play with my son's toys instead.I have also already purchased a pink kitchen set (It's the one she has been asking for) for her birthday and I was showing some moms in her playgroup. Some of them made a face and one of them said, "Oh, pink? They come in different colors now. Some are even more realistic looking." She showed me the one she got for her two daughters. It was nice, but I know my daughter wouldn't want that one.I don't really know what I am asking for here. Am I reading too much into these conversations (very possible)? Should I stop getting my daughter what she likes so I don't push gender stereotypes? Are we accidentally pushing gender stereotypes here?Thanks. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nfwoOJ

No comments:

Post a Comment